Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Terrain boards, Cons, & the Future part III

The Forge World Games Workshop battle board.



        This build always seemed far easier than what it turned out to be. From the original idea to what I got was very different. I went overboard and started covering entire tiles with roads.


         The number of times I laid down and then ripped up the Forge World roads. As the FW norm the roads are not square. Not even close. If I were to start from the very beginning I would square the roads first. Too late now!
        I rushed to completed anything, something for a Con. And that is what I got. The half city, half forest was a half assed deal. It never became what I had envisioned.
       After playing on it, the raised roads became a distraction. Also my grasp of Ground Scale & Area Terrain Vs Playability improved to clear as mud.
     
       







Going forward;
         I will expand the city. Lose the forest. Ensure this time that all the roads interconnect. Then paint and repair all the chips. The buildings will no longer be counter sunk.


        Right away problems. Of course I don't have enough roads. No problem I have rubber for them and some resin left over. Part A of the resin's cap is bonded on.


Update; new resin ordered.






I had to cut and rip it off. Part B looked a little funny coming out of the bottle. Only time will tell.

I had to finish off what was left. There was no way to reseal the bottle. Nor did I have anything I come put it in. The molds available right away were the bases. Extra bases never hurt, right?

        Well, while that mess runs on hope and new resin coming one day. I started to create inserts for between the roads. There was some brown paper kicking around from the last magazine delivery. That was used to create a pattern for each hole. (roads are not square. each hole is different) 

The orientation and hole was noted. Then the pattern was used to cut out plastic card. This will create a flat surface across the city. Each insert will be built up and buildings attached. The inserts will allow for a rapid set up. Every insert will get a custom foot print increasing heights above the city's base elevation.
Those holes where road damage, blasts, or ruins exist have a very thin plastic card mounted below. All these insert will be occupied be damaged structures.





No comments:

Post a Comment