Thursday, May 7, 2020

Containment Lock Down Spring Cleaning

         One of this year's goals was to sort out the printers. Sell them, shit can them, move on.

         First up was the Fabtotum. A filament printer. It is a great printer when it wants to work. Parts are no longer available. I can not wasting my time getting it printing any more. I would only ever print terrain on it. I broke the probe thing. I don't care any more and list it for parts.


         FSL's Pegasus SLA printer was next up on the hit list. I was luck. Mine worked straight out of the box. Customer service was helpful. I printed Tau, 30k, 20mm moderns, terrain. It is a work horse. Others have had issues with theirs.
        After all that it has to go. Yet this bastard hates my Mac. I have to use the company's PC.  Which is just enough of a pain to piss you off when prints don't stick.
        The worst part is the PDMS layer in the resin vat. UV light clouds the PDMS Si. You get about 10,000 slices before artifacts start to develop. After 15,000 slices you are luck to get a print to stick.             A new vat was 100. Now it is 300. A super vat is 500. You can't turn in the old for PDMS layer replacement. There was a time when Holland was selling the PDMS resin for 20 bucks. They have been out of stock for forever.
          At that rate you could buy a DLP printer and throw it out every 3 to 6 months.Depending on how much you were printing and the size of the objects.

         Either way I sold it in 6 hours. Then ordered a Photon 5 minutes after.

       With the printers sold or up for sale. I moved the print station, the giant roll around, paint station, and the crap sitting on the floor. Everything got cleaned. The print station relocated and properly leveled. The surface recover and vibration isolation completed. I tried leveling the storage cabinet. I need shims.

No comments:

Post a Comment