Monday, December 17, 2018

This year's Warmaster sickness

          So way back when all this BS started. I was going to buy a painted army. I would use that army to play at AdeptiCon and a few pick up games here and there. Thereby increasing the number of games I would get for my troubles. That was it! I had other stuff going on and no time to cycle another system across the painting table.


         Last AdeptiCon I was issued a loaner. I played with the New England group with a loaner. Then shorty after found a big completely painted Tomb King army for nothing. Which I expanded. Then glued magnetic bases to the bottom. Next I started to rebase and paint the army.

         There went an easy solution.  Which quickly preceded to exploded into a total cluster of unrestraint. I could try to explain my ruination as the resin/plastic/lead crack problem that I am known to have.
          It is more so the down and dirty speed and quality of the Warmaster system. As a gaming rule set/system, it is quick to learn. Yet there remains a depth to it. Strategically challenging. One can replicate historical battle maneuvers with an accuracy to actual results. Including but not limited to the trick battlefield deployments. Most importantly! It has an existing stable player base.


         All along and continuing with the desert theme, I start a Araby army sourcing historical minis. The WM Araby are more Ottoman Turks than actual desert peoples. Using Old Glory I chose all Persian troop types.

         After returning from Japan, of course I just had to buy a Samurai army. Yep I bought Jap terrain too!
        Note: 3 armies that are now unfinished. A Tomb King that requires the basing at the very least completed. An Araby that is 600 points painted. A Samurai army in route, to be smuggled into the house.

It doesn't end with that.



         In between last Xmas and AdeptiCon 2018, I started looking at ancients in 10mm. 10mm because who in the seven frozen hells can paint that many 28mm. I tried and failed. Boxes of 28mm lead are some where.
         Why not use Warmaster and/or HC? I could host Con ancient games, right? I am an Old Glory Army member.
         I responsibly picked a time period. Responsible in the idea that the period chosen would allow for multiple basic troops to cross from regional power to regional power.
         Irresponsibly I purchased in bulk Rep Rome, Cartho, AtG/Successor, Spanish, Hannibal, Pyrrhus. All of which remain 95% bare lead in baggies.  




         And then there is the terrain. I have a cubic ass ton of 15mm stuff for ACW RF&F. And a bunch of items kicking around. The Old Glory 10mm Viking Village stuff for example. I got in a trade 8 years ago got painted up. I need to complete the river sections. Dusted off all the fields.
           Then I bought a secret weapon table, Military discount. Some Dust Babylonian items, arabic tents, 10mm desert buildings, greek type ruins, a Greek/Roman-ish temple. All of which sits raw and boxed.

         Exactly! Next year will be a 10mm year. I will have to finish multiple armies. What, like 6? And a butt load of terrain. I am so fucked. I need a plan!


Saddness



Castle Arts is closed! In a fit of broken heart-ness, I reached out to the owner. He agreed to sell the left over stock to me. I bought everything he had, 900 + Euro. I will soon be up to my tits in samurai.


No comments:

Post a Comment