Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Your Momma is a Sallie prat VII "bases part II"

The XVIII Legion

          Long awaited rubber and resin casting effort. It is a total pain in the ass to drill holes each time you need bases. I have master blanks casted. Now I need masters with the circles for the marine's feet. Then I can pour rubber and make bases in mass.
          First I casted up a set of blanks. Then pilot holes were drilled. You need pilot holes as the full size bit will slip initially. You will never hit the spot you want or it slides across the surface chewing the base up. 
          Next the full size bit. I used electrical tape to control depth. Also a dude was hanging around to check for depth. Any hole that was too deep got set a side to be filled in with green stuff.
          Then those bases were soaked in mold release and rubber was poured. 
          I am using SmoothON 66D for resin. It has a long pot time. The old stuff's pot time was too short. It would start curing before I finished pouring. The 66D does not have that problem, but it does create air bubbles. I don't have a vacuum system. I care that much.
    
          The new bases are soaked in Mr Clean and military simple green cleaner. They all get a fresh water wash, no scrubbing. And done, ready for marines.


No comments:

Post a Comment