Friday, September 25, 2020

Regimental Fire and Fury "The beginning"


         The ACW collection is a mess. Half are based one way and the other half for RF&F. Way back when I started playing ACW at Cons. Jonny Reb seemed great. Then I played RF&F and everything sucked. RF&F is the best system. It is easy to learn, has tactical depth, and represents what the action appears in my head when I read about the ACW.  (It is great for AWI also) Yet very little of the collection can be fielded as RF&F.

        My collection of dudes are pieces and parts from others collections. I have painted zero ACW. This is the big barrier to getting into ACW. The amount of little fuckers you need to paint is insane. Plus you better plan on doing both sides as you will be hosting. At that time I was not a speed painter or interested in painting both sides of a game. A game where you need close to a hundred stands per side.

         That left me with buying painted dudes. As guys sold off or dumped or died, those collections became available. At that time I was not able to buy the whole thing. I was able to get what the big money dudes did not want. After they cherry picked the shit out of the collection. Which was fine. There was not a huge wargaming budget, I needed a cubic butt ton on Infantry for both sides. I took whatever scraps I could get.

          Now I have to sort, organize, and rebase at least half. 20% I will need to repaint. There is another 15-20% that I will have to buy.

      The easy way to get dudes off bases is to let them stand in water. If they were glued down with PVA they pop right off. If the are on plywood, it falls apart. If they were based on card, well that melts away too. Sadly if you stuck them down with super glue, they need to sit for longer. They will pop off after a while.
        Here are the dudes that came right off in less than 5 minutes. The dudes above can sit, while I sort and rebase the others.

         Examples of the dudes that are so bad they require repainting.


Dudes being sorted
Piles of popped off dudes
Dudes to be stripped.



No comments:

Post a Comment