Monday, August 29, 2016

Dipped and sealed

Army Painter haters run! I use this shit all the time. It is an evil bitch. It requires gloves, an open space, the sacrifice of a brush, solvent, and a big dip area. Yet it dries harder than diamonds. Anything I have ever coated in this shit, has never ever chipped. Those minis have been stepped on and remain unbroken. Children have played in games and my minis live on.
          You may hate the dip idea and the results. But message me a better protector and I will drop the 20 dollar a can love hate relationship.
         Now. When screwing around being cheap with my miniature purchases, 1/72 plastics, Quickshade will save me. The plastics the 1/72s are made from are soft and the mini flexes. As these minis are painted, the paint is less flexible than the mini. Quickshade doesn't care. It is flexible. Even if the paint were to crack the dip keeps it in place.
          Some use a watered down white glue over or under their primer. Then again coating the finished paint job with it. I have tried the white glue. It sort of, kind of works. It is two more additional steps.


Results from dipping
1/72 plastics
           Terrible picture. The picture is meant to show how shiny the minis become after dipping. I don't dip them I brush it on.
           These have already been matte coated. Still is a great example, for why you should not be rushed. The dip runs down the mini. After brushing it on, it is very important to go back with a wiped off brush to collect the pools that form. You can see I did not.

20mm metals
         Another terrible picture again. I paint the Moderns differently. The paint is watered down, maybe 50% more than on the plastics. The detail is better. It make layering easy and creates a better effect.
1/72s Results after a "Matte" seal
         Now that I am in Argentina, my choice of sprays is extremely limited. In the past I always used the hobby matte spray. This time my local choices were brush on artist stuff or paint store spray. I went with the paint store spray. You have to be half the distance closer when using it. Or little hairs start to grow. (The price was the same stateside as here. 10 bucks or so)
20mm After the matte seal
        I am happy with the 20mm that were finished off. The 1/72s' tan and blue didn't meet my expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment