Sunday, November 12, 2017

Warmaster Weekends "painting speed" Phase One


         One unit could have as many as 48 dudes (Unit = 3 stands @ 16 dudes a stand). If one had 10 units of legionaries in a 3000 point army, thats 740 dudes. The speed at which I could paint a unit becomes a big question. Even if I paint in 1000 point blocks. How fast can I get an army on the table? Get two armies on the table?

         Now some of these guys are doubled ranked or in the case of a Phalanx 4 ranks. It may be faster to paint them based. The painting of dudes based and in ranks does create a difficultly in how much of the inner dudes are painted.

         A test for best method is needed. Also which method produces a quality looking group of dudes. The test will be on heavy infantry and Skirmishers.

Phase one; painting on sticks and Phase two based in ranks.

         The procedure will be the same. I will start with dudes fresh from the bag. They will be cleaned, mounted, primed, painted, dipped, flocked, and sealed. Any attention to the shields will be not included.

Phase One;

Cartho Libyans -- Cleaning and mounting and priming, strong tone wash and spears 22 minutes.
         Then the plan totally collapsed as I chose to start doing shields. In the end I had to go back to hit the spots I skip over for shields.
reference sheet 1
         Hand painting shields at 10mm is a bit of a strain. My lighting sucks and there is no wet palette here. My examples are 110% larger than the actual 10mm shield.
Carthaginian Libyan Inf.
45 points

The Numidian skirmishers were much quicker to paint. I just can not count. A half base short.
20 points

 My device for mounting single dudes straight and balanced on the base
 The real reason I was short skirmishers. I stuck a few in support of the elephants. 3 African Forest Elephants.
450 points

 Forest Elephants are much smaller than India Elephants. The forest type is long gone. I did find some handles for these dudes. No riders with big long spears yet.
The next 3 bases to get painted. These are the Old Glory India elephants I got at Fall In.

          Me digging thru the massive mess of 10mm dudes searching for more of this one kind of dude. At least Macs, Cartho, and Roma are separated. 













No comments:

Post a Comment