Sunday, November 5, 2017

HMGS Fall In Day Three


         Our tables today were occupied by another tourney yesterday. I am bring 4 tables and terrain to support. Setting up in the morning blows. At least AdeptiCon lets you set up the night before. Straight in the ass! My last game of the night was as hit show. After walking away, I hung around till 9. Early morning start, 5:30. Shit, shower, shave, stuff my fat face, get ice, and load the beer.


Kal had every player last year return. Plus added 4 more, 60% growth year over year!

Tables
          I am running the Tau again. This time out I took the Manta as a WE. The spacecraft is a waste, a one and done activation. Tau work on high activations.
          I had 3 primer games with the Manta. By the end of the last primer (Friday afternoon), I seriously thought asking the guys and begging Kal if I could bail on the list I sent in. No sissy, I ran with it.

My list



My history of picture taking continues at this event also. I set the phone there to remind to take pictures. I get one or none.

Game 1     Tau Vs Marines  3 - 1
Activations  12 to 10
Deployment
Teleporting Terms



Game 2     Tau Vs Plague Marines  0 - 3
Activations  12 to 10
         The Zombies vomited out by the spacecraft are a spectacle tactic. Jon dumped them basically on the Blitz. You had to burn activations killing them or park a unit to contest the blitz. On turn 1 your down Blitz, DTF, and TSNP. First turn teleporting Stealth suits?
         Jon is one of the best tactical players you will ever face. He makes zero mistakes. You have to be turned up across the table from him.
Soaked up more fire and activations then any unit all day. MVP!
          When the detachment with his Sup Commander broke, I got confused. I suddenly decided that was the BTS. Then proceed to go after it, leaving the BTS sit.
Objectives and Garrisons
           Here you see me blow the Objective placement. My 2nd and 3rd objectives are on the center line. Jon's army has no transports. I just gave his garrison units a free 55cm of movement!
Deployment
Jon's BTS goes after the Suits 


Game 3     Tau Vs Lost&Dammed 1 - 0 end of 4th,  points 857.5- 750
Activations  12 to 12

Deployment
1st turn Teleport
end of 3rd



Battle reports will be on TacCmd

Lessons Learned;

****  Manta  ****

Twin Heavy Railcannons          90cm MW2+, Titan Killer (D3)
3  Heavy Ion Phalanx               75cm AP3+/AT4+, FF Arc
4 Twin Manta Burst Cannons   30cm AP5+/AA6+
Twin Missile Pods                     45cm AP5+/AT6+
2 Seeker Missiles                     90cm AT6+ GM

At 650 it is a total waste. The model is huge! It never earns back its points. Nor does it suck up enough of your opponent's activations dealing with it. The weapon load out is not a threat. Even with units MLing the target.

Stealth/Crisis Suits scare people. Two upgrade detachments of suits will do more damage. The fire power will brake a detachment every time it hits.

**** First turn Teleports  ****

 What a gold mine. (With the exception of rolling 5 ones on landing) Those stealth suits broke every players opening game plan. Each player burned at least two activations trying to eliminate the threat. Then they continued to go after them like a fat kid chasing cake until the were dead to a man.

**** End Phase  ****

Well.....shit! A rule never followed or known. I got no excuse!

In just about every game, at the end of 3, we never rallied broken units. We skip 1.14 and 1.14.1 going straight to 1.14.2. In game 2, Jon did say we rally. I can't tell you how many times I never did this.

1.14 End Phase
"The End phase takes place, unsurprisingly, at the end of the turn, once both players have taken an action with each of their unbroken formations. Both players must attempt to rally any formations and then check the scenario victory conditions to see if either side has won.
1.14.1 Rally formations
1.14.2 Victory conditions


Next HGMS tourney;

Cooler; 18 beers and 12 Dews were about right. Next time I should throw in some water. Went home with 2 beers and 3 dews.

        Our tables were nut to butt. We will have to request one more than we need. Some room in-between would have been more comfortable.

         We should also think about charging 15 bucks more. The extra would include lunch and drinks and extras. The guys appeared to hesitate just grabbing a beer. I knew over half of them.
         A lot of time is soaked up by groups going some where for lunch. No time to get a proper stalk thru Walley's basement sale or hike over to the vendor hall.

        Maybe run doubles or special scenario game Thursday night. At AdeptiCon, there was a special scenario as the second game. That was tactically the most challenging game of the weekend and the BEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment