Saturday, September 14, 2019

Warmaster Weekend 10mm Sengoku Table "test tile"




        Back working for the Japanese, staying in Japan for weeks in Kai, running around Shingen's castle has created another distraction. Enabled by my co-worker saying I should do a Samurai army and pounding Sake. Dam him! Now I am ball deep in Samurai, Samurai books, Samurai terrain.
        When I bought all of Castle Arts remaining stock, I got all the left over buildings and scenery. It is as detailed as the miniatures. No way I am selling it. If I am going to paint, got to play with it. All my current tables are western, city or desert. No Asian themed table.
       
       


         I will build a modular Japanese/Asian table from Sarissa's MDF tiles. When they came out I pre-ordered a truck full. The initial idea is little villages, temples, a castle, rice paddies, rivers, paths/roads, bamboo forest, black pine forest.
         It will be more fancy. Fancy as in, tuffs and details that would or will not wear so well in every day gaming. In the end it will get sealed as the terrain dude suggested/recommended.
         I don't see it getting a lot of usage, nor will I be able to travel with it. This will be the first table I build for my future in home gaming table. (Hopefully this Xmas it will be get done)

The 1st tile is based off of an old village in Japan. (not my pictures)
       The test tile. I went with the spring 2mm grass and late summer 4mm. The spring green was chosen due to Samurai campaigning after the rice was planted or in the off season.
       The plants used for the rice were sliced into narrow strips. Along with the old dry grass, 6mm autumn. The dry grass is removable. All applied with the flock box. The water in the paddies was stained with ink. The bamboo is the cheap china eBay stuff.

         The rice paddy sizes were determined from the buildings in the pictures above. The width is not much more than that of a house. The length about 2 to 3 buildings. My water is brown. I remember the water in the paddies being brownish.

         The buildings are based off of this picture. The only old building I ever saw was Yasu-san's mother's house. It sits in the middle of Kyoto, surrounded by tall apartment buildings near the train station. Her house is pre WWI. It is pretty close to these.

I flooded this field too. Not exactly happy with it. I should have left it alone.

2 comments:

  1. Looks excellent! Those tiles turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last thing I did was the paddy with rice plants. The water stuff created problems.

      Delete