Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Anno Domini 1666 Cardinal's Men part I

 

        
    I have always been a Dumas fan. When I was a little boy I failed 2nd. I refused to read. It was not because I could read read. I would not. Dad some how figured it out that I could. That I was being an asshole. Dad told me some stories. We saw part of a Musketeer movie on WPIX out of NYC at grandma's house. Dad wasn't paying for cable. Then he gave me his copy of Dumas. Dad said it was his book from when he was a kid. I was not to destroy it. If I wanted to know the story I could read it. 

By the end of the summer I read all of Dumas' books. I started with Walter Scott after that. When I returned to repeat 2nd the teacher called and asked mom who taught me to read. 

     Now as an adult with a miniature addiction and a Dumas fanboy. I cannot wait to get Dumas' characters on the tabletop. I love the Spanish Musketeer story too. The series of Alatriste and the BBC's Musketeers has got me crazied to paint them up. I am dreaming of scenarios with the opening action in the Three Musketeers!


        My copy of Swords is not here yet. I still waiting, looking out the window. I did get the Cardinal's Men and Guards while at Little Wars. There were 5 of the Red Guard squaring off in the second action in the Three Musketeers. In the 3rd, a street riot/fight. I will need a fair number of Red Guard!

        I don't like the BBC's version of them. Nor any of the movies versions. The Osprey book has an excellent example. I will model mine after the artwork there.

        The 1666 Cardinal Richelieu is spectacular. I will copy the art work on my palette. I had hoped for an older Cardinal. In the book the Musketeers make fun of his bent back. When you 1st meet him in the book he is not so.

        1st up is a double batch of the Red guard. The are primed AP bone. Then washed with AP Dark tone. All their clothing is Black and browns.
        Foundry 68. British Red  Coatis my red.


No comments:

Post a Comment