Saturday, March 7, 2020

Inhouse gaming table part I

          Long along I had a home table. I had a room just for gaming. The table was 12 x 6, the room 15.5 x 22. I had even started to teach people Epic and FoF. We had a few Muskets and Tomahawk games. That house was sold when we moved to Argentina.
          In Argentina I had everyone's standard, the kitchen table. Zero games got played. I had to unpack my paints, paint some dudes, pack my paints up. It was a shared space. We talked about expanding the house there or moving. Then Mom and Dad got sick. We sold everything and moved back to the states.
          Of course I bought another house. This house would have a space for me or I wasn't going to buy a house. No more sacrifices! The ground floor was to be mine. All minis, all the time. That didn't happen. The crumb snatchers expanded into my space. The dog got old and steps became a problem. Which is cool, I can share with dog. I did win 75% of the garage as my painting work room.
         My area for gaming stayed up in the air. I had a half assed table to game upon. That was further mickey moused. All of which could be repurposed for party tables or torn down to host friends and family and the yearly parties.
 Table risers because the flooding tables are so low.

         I had known going forward a dedicated gaming area would not happen. Also need to repurposed for parties. I drew up plans for a 7x5 table that would split length wise. We would then use the halves as side boards or a bar during parties. They would have wheels for easy movement.




















        Trying to get someone to build the table for you is near impossible. Over 2 years we searched. We had woodworking friends say they would do it. Then back out after seeing the plans. The Amish said no. Professional cabinet people, no. Custom Furniture people, no. I was back to building it myself. I am no wood worker. It would take maybe 3 months of weekends to do. I had to say no.
         We were back to looking to have it made. Then yesterday I saw 2 drafting tables for sale. 75 beans each! Jesus smiled on me and I won the bid. They are 6x3.5. A little bigger than I wanted. But for 150 when quotes would start at 1200+ for a custom table. They where the old school oak, not the new metal style. I knew if I could get them apart they would fit in my car.

         Two hour trip. 25 minutes and I had both apart and loaded.

         Back at the house. They need cleaning and painting. I will be spraying the legs and supports otter brown. 4 cans at 20. I am in at 180 so far. It has to be nice enough to spray out side or everyone will be sky high. Saturday turned ok. The house blocked the wind. Only the sides you would see get sprayed.

         They are used tables. They are old school tables. The repairs or maintenance is easy enough. Little glue and some clamps. 90% of the damage is splits. The legs where 3 pieces glued together during manufacturing. Over time the leg post have started to separate. The way in which the table is screwed together makes the issue smaller than I thought. As the major bolts pull the layer together.
         At least the holes are already there for the wheels. 

         I had just enough time to paint and assemble one. The other is glued and clamped. I will build the gaming top with a 2" lip to keep all the Geo-hex in place. Also under the table I will add drawers and cabinets for all the terrain. One of the tables will have slots for the GW boards to slide into.





         Originally I thought the tables would be large than I wanted, 7 x 6. Do-able but not ideal. A 7 footer creates an issue when trying to reach the center. If it is a bare, terrain limited table, no problem. One with terrain and trees go every where.
         In the picture to the left you see the topper standing against the drafting table top. The topper is much smaller. This will actually give me exactly what I wanted. A 7 x 5 table.
         The table height is pretty close to 6 Feet Under's tables. 36". The height there is mint. One can play all day and never come home from a sore back. Once the wheels are added the height will be 40-41 inches.
         The drafting tops will get sanded and stained. These will be what covers the table during parties.





No comments:

Post a Comment