Thursday, October 18, 2018

Mold life & dremels

         I am a big Smooth-On fan. It was easier when you could order direct, more selection, less bullshit. Now there is Amazon. It has the common stuff. It is cheaper and no shipping charges and two day delivery. Means not having to keep an extra couple of set kicking around.
          These molds are OO rubber and about 6 years old. They have kicked out about 7-11 casts. Most one parts last forever. The square building should have been a two part mold.
         As time passes, I started mounting the flat masters to Plexi. 
not OO rubber

Stand by......3......2......1


Right, wrong, legal, illegal......Don't care bro



         Knowing that your mold will die over time presents a question of keeping the masters, or creating copies and selling the masters, or using the masters along with your casts?
         I keep a near original mint set for masters. Mostly because I never got them when they were available and I will always want more and more.
         Now that the mold are reaching the end of their lives, I am increasing the abuse. No longer do I have access to LN2. I want weird and strange casts coming out of them. I am pouring different casting materials into them, cocking the mold at extreme angles. The cast is smashed and further the abuse with a dremel.
plaster, resin, dentstone
No real plan for what they will look like in the end. Whatever they become. They will have mold made.

No comments:

Post a Comment