Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Warmaster Ancients "Introducting a new player"


        This will be the 2nd game for Jeremy. The 1st game we went thru the gaming mechanics and combat. Gaming Mechanics are something we do now without think. Its a different world from board games. Once you cross over to War Gaming and more so Historical type War Gaming neatness and tiny details complicate the instructional situation.
        Unit conformity, unit formation, legal formations, how the units move, how they line up and why its important, The proper way to measure and move a unit. All this can make it seem like your playing with Grandpa and his Grandpa ways. Yet it is an internal part of the game.
         In the 1st game I had left out the skirmishing rule. I felt I could ignore the rule without effecting the system. This would allow me to focus on movement and combat. How a unit was ordered? How a unit moved, how far, how many times, and risks involved? When in combat the number of dice used, how it is calculated, how you can stack advantages for more dice, and negative effect on you and the enemy unit.
         As I went through each action I would take, I would talk through the action. What I intended. Where +/-s effects were located on the QRS. How those stacked and effected the out come. Combat was done the same way.

        2nd game. The whole rule set was used. There will also be terrain, 3 woods and some fields. Both armies are Rep Roman. It will be a 1000 point mirror match.
        QRS was provide and debriefed. Along with the army list, each unit, and special rules. The Skirmish rules we read through and discussed. We talked about terrain and the effects. Then we went thru the army stand by stand to insure he was comfortable with what each one represented, its battle field role, and capabilities.
        In this game I would continue to talk my way through each action. I would ask Jeremy were he would find the pos/neg on the QRS for his first few actions. I made him calculate the combat dice and results.

Of course he won. I didn't have to throw the game. Using my Tau dice, he was crushing me in every combat. Its not the dice, its me the gods hate. Next round I will send him a link to the army list generator thingy and let him pick his own forces.

Not in the correct order.








No comments:

Post a Comment