Friday, December 13, 2019

Hosting Games

        Man I never thought this would happen. Playing games and hosting historical again, ha I would have been less surprised by a monkey birthing from my ass. And it all occurred at church. There could be some insidious cult business trying to take me by trickery. They got a better chance of getting me to stop drinking and smoking than attending church.  Mmmm, shit! I am playing soccer with them next session.

        By chance some dude that goes to church with my wife heard her talking about family game night. Pri being Pri, invited old boy. We played some board games. Then the father/priest, non catholic priest Jamie, says he wants in. Once again a board game sort of deal.
        Jeremy said he would like to try wargaming. His son and him play Star Wars plane fighter something or other. He had us all over last night for games. Now we have a wargaming night scheduled next week. Ancients is easiest to teach. I will use Warmaster or Hail Caesar. As they both stay. on the surface.
         I went with Warmaster Ancients and mirror armies. I left out shooting and skirmishing rules. The goal was to keep it as simple as possible. (Jeremy is a board gamer. He never pushed minis around.) The table was straight forward. Some trees and a pond on a gaming mat. Initial debrief included the basic units and formations. Then we went right into playing.
         We focused on turn sequence, command, and combat. Each turn I narrated my actions and plan. As combat began, we went thru each unit and bonus(s), how winner was determined, and so on.
       This was the last picture I took. Continuing with my track record of forgetting to take pictures. 
        
         Of course he won. Jeremy said it was more than he expected. He felt the system was easy to pick up. After Xmas he wants to try again, but with all the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment